Eiffel Tower at Night

Eiffel Tower at Night
I took this photo on our vacation to Europe, July 2010

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Confessions of an Inactive Mormon Girl

Wow. Way to come right out and say it, Becky. Let's not ease people slowly into it. No, let's just throw it out there and rip the bandaid off as quickly as possible. Hah. Back in January of 2011 I wrote my first blog post and mentioned how my family had seen some dramatic changes that I might one day type about if I got enough brave-osity thrumming through my veins. This is it, folks!! This is the day. I've got brave-osity thrumming out the whazoooo!!! Maybe. Possibly. Probably. Okay, I'm afraid..... but since I've already spilled the beans, there's just no going back. I'm out of the Mormon closet. ;)

I was raised Mormon. Very Mormon. Utah County Mormon. I love Mormons. They are my family and friends. I have a lot of respect for them, and due to that respect and love, my typing fingers have been stilled in typing out this blog, mostly from fear of how it might be received. I also don't want people to feel like I'm attacking their religion. That is definitely not my objective here.

I personally don't hold the truth that the Mormon church is the one true church as I was brought up to believe any longer. My little family has been mostly inactive for the past five years. I would never, not in a million years have seen myself in this position any time prior to that. I had what I believed to be a strong testimony. I wanted to go on a mission. My husband served his mission and we both were considered strong members of the church. I truly believed that the gospel was the main key to my happiness in life, and could not see my life without it.

We didn't leave the church because we were offended. We didn't leave because we didn't care. We didn't leave because we stopped going to the temple, reading scriptures, praying, or because we were “sinning,” or because we wanted to sin. We weren't reviewing “anti-mormon” literature. Our decision to leave was incredibly difficult and extremely painful. It was mostly based on what we learned from real church history, among other things. My perceptions of truth were flipped upside down, and my husband and I often refer to it as our “Truman Show” moment. Waking up and feeling like your life has been fabricated in many ways is not an easy pill to swallow. To have a belief in something that you clung to so passionately unravel and crumble before your eyes is devastating. It took a lot of time, a whole lot of prayer, and a whole lot of talking to arrive at this decision.

Most people who leave the church are afraid to talk about it, mostly for fear of judgment. It often seems like most members in the church immediately believe something is drastically wrong with you, and that you're obviously not doing the right things in your life. I have seen so much heartache among many of my friends and family members over this, and it tends to add to the pile of guilt and sadness that you feel. What am I not doing right? Maybe they're right....maybe I could be doing better. There's obviously something wrong with me. WHY am I like this? Finally, I came to the shaky conclusion that, you know what, world? I try to be a really good person. I try to be a good mom. I'm trying to do what's right. It takes SO much courage to stand up for yourself and do what you believe is right, regardless of what everyone may think of you. To me, that is true integrity. And I really want to be a person of integrity.

My hubby and I were a little nervous to move back to Utah and leave our diverse San Antonio behind. In San Antonio, I could wear a tank top and not have people immediately judging me for baring my shoulders. I had neighbors of all different religious denominations around me and we simply loved and accepted each other. I've loved living here so far, but some things do worry me.

I've been lucky.  My neighbors, friends, and my family have been really great to me, but I have worried that I'm seen as slightly poisonous to those people in my life, that someone might feel the  need to make sure that I don't talk to any impressionable youth that might be around, or spread my "poisonous" beliefs.  I used to teach the young women in my ward, and I was also a primary chorister. I LOVED it. Sometimes I feel like now people might view me as an untrustworthy person simply because of my church status, and that they wouldn't want me around their children. That truly saddens me. Growing up in Mormonism, you're taught to be Christlike and accepting toward everyone, but the reality is all too often the opposite. Those who aren't members of the church, especially in Utah County, often seem to be ostracized and unwelcome. I speak not only from my own experience, but from many of my friends as well that have been through similar experiences. You are taught in the Mormon church not to date nonmembers. What will that do for my three young children? How will that make them feel? I've heard of families that won't allow their children to play with the inactive children for fear of them tainting their own, and I've even had that happen to me once a friend discovered I wasn't a member. What kind of Christlike loving is that?!!

Everyone's different, thank goodness. Everyone has their different journeys in life, and mine has taken me in a direction that many may not approve of, but it's honestly been a great direction for us. We are happy. We are raising some really, really good kids, and I've been so proud of them. Many people within the Mormon culture often talk about the families within the “mission field” with only two Mormons in the High School with such adoration. Nobody ever mentions the brave, brave, non-Mormon souls living in Utah.

Last year, Elder Marlin Jensen, the Mormon church's outgoing official historian, acknowledged that members are defecting from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints "in droves" and that the pace is increasing.

I'm sure many of my readers here know of someone personally that may be “struggling with their testimony” or who may not believe in the church anymore. If anything, hopefully this blog post will give some insight that can help you find compassion for these people. All too often, when a person is struggling with faith issues, families turn on each other, even leading to divorce in many cases. Please keep in mind that just because someone may start to have differing religious views, that doesn't make them a bad father/mother/sister/friend, and that they are still the same person you know and love. Love them. Reach out to them. Try to understand them. They need you.

41 comments:

  1. I thought this was well written, obviously you put a LOT of thought into it.
    If people are leaving in droves, there must be a reason for it. I'm not familiar enough with the specifics of the religion to make any type of comment on that. Whatever the reason is, it's apparently very significant for them to do so.
    I also suspect that it took a lot of courage to write this and post i public. I give you a thumbs up for doing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me wrong, it's a great religion in many ways, and many people find happiness by living it. It simply doesn't work for me anymore....it was terrifying to type this out. Thank you, Terry, for being so thoughtful. :)

      Delete
  2. Great post Becky. You are inspiring. I feel a lot of the same things you do and hope I can be as brave someday. I'm the same person I was before I left the church but much happier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how much courage it must have taken for you to write out your deepest feelings in a sweet and respectful way for those who may not understand or agree. You are so articulate and witty and genuine. I truly feel being out of the "mormon closet" is freeing and the honesty feels empowering even though its so so hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was an awesome, thought provoking blog. I found it through Charie. You have stated exactly what we feel. Some people just need religion to be a part of and feel like they belong. I rely on my love of Christ and God to get me through. I don't have to be reassured every week about their love. Thanks again. Charie's Aunt Christine.

      Delete
    2. Charie, you have no idea how much I appreciate that. I really was trying to write this in a way that would not be offensive. Hopefully that came across. Loves!!

      Delete
    3. And thank you, Aunt Christine!! :)

      Delete
  4. Hey babe, I love your courage and willingness to share from your heart. Thank you for being brave.

    I can relate to what you wrote. I let people assume that I was LDS for most of my life because of painful rejection growing up in Utah County. It seems that there isn't a category for a person who has left or didn't join the church who also loves God, acts with integrity to their values and even has a deep respect and appreciation for the LDS church and its members. They assume we are trying to justify some weakness or sin, haven't prayed enough...

    Thank you for representing the many many kind hearted people who are doing their best to act from integrity, and that very attribute leads them out of the church.

    Hugs,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie,

      I never even knew you weren't LDS. It's almost like you still have a light that shines despite the fact that you're wicked to the core. ;) Hah. Thank you!! <3

      Delete
  5. Love you! You Brave soul! Very great words from a momma who cares, and who's light still shines no matter what her beliefs are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hugs, Becky. You are my beautiful friend. You have made my journey out of the church that much easier because of your support. Hugs and loves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, I'm so glad I have you as a life long buddy. Loves!!

      Delete
  7. This has a fair amount of similarities to my experience with leaving the Catholic church/Christianity. I have been free of it for about 18 years now, and can still relate to the feelings you shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin,

      You're one of my favorite people I've never met. Honestly!! :) I feel like we'd be terrific friends if we lived by each other. Religion can be tricky....it's always nice to hear of others who have been through similar circumstances. Loves!!

      Delete
  8. I am glad you are happy. This life is hard and we all just want to be happy. I currently live in Italy and I'm active in the Church. I will tell you though the Church feels a little truer here :) Well at least more sincere and more accepting of one anothers challenges. For example I've seen members leave for a smoke break. They will openly tell you that they wish they could stop but are struggling with it. The great part is though that nobody judges them when they come back inside for Sacrament meeting. Thank you for being honest with yourself and raising a family that values charity and honesty. I firmly believe in the end we will all have our joy and our loving Savior will embrace us and discuss our lives with us. He will judge us, but it will be in the most loving and wonderful way. He will cry with us, he will congratulate us and he will love us. That is what I believe, that is what I hope and that is why I try not to judge others because I don't know what their situation is, I don't know the entire package and so I don't consider myself in a position to pass judgement. I hope I didn't ramble too much, and I don't know you but I sincerely hope that we all can be happy however that may be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, David.

      Nice to cyber meet you. :) I do think Utah County Mormonism and Mormonism outside of Utah are quite different. I had many friends in San Antonio ranging from atheist to True Blue Mormon, and we loved each other just the way we were. You don't have to agree with someone in order to accept and love them. Thank you for commenting. I loved what you had to say. :)

      ~Becky

      Delete
  9. Thank you for your brave words! This post resonates with me in so many ways. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Becky! You have always been a beacon of light and happiness...gifts I believe our Heavenly Father gave you. When you lead the music in primary, those kids would sing their hearts out! You are fun to be around and a leader. You draw people to you. I will always respect and love you.
    I am sad today reading your post however. You speak alot of the mormon culture. It's true we are far from perfect. The church just tries to make us a little better than we could be alone. It helps us focus on others through service and helps to bouy us up when we need it. But! The people in the church are still just people...trying to do their best. You are absolutely right when you say that we all could use an extra dose of compassion and charity.
    I don't disagree with anything you have had to say. I will, however, tell you what the church means to me. It's everything. Going through some of the trials that have come along with Todd having cancer these last two years I have come to understand that without my testimony of Christ and knowing who I am in relation to that, I could not have made it. By knowing who I am, a daughter of God...and knowing He loves me, that He watches over me, that there is a plan...things I know you know too, I can make it through the whirlwinds life brings. The closer I come to Christ, and lean on Him, the more strength I have. He is my strength. By going to church and talking of Him and speaking of Him and learning of Him, I am getting closer to Him. THat is what I need. No one in the church is perfect, but they might just be the angel that He used to send to me in my hour of need. OR, even better, someday, I might be the angel that He uses to help someone else.
    I love you. I know you will be a strength to those around you. I just hope that in your journey, you will also remember the good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cassie, I love you too!! I sent you a message in FB. :) Thanks for caring!! <3

      Delete
  11. Oh my gosh, Becky!!!! I could not have written it nearly as beautifully as you have done. We left the church because of negative experiences and really struggled to leave the church then. There are many times that I feel like I should go back, but I believe that is just because we live in Utah and our neighbors encourage us to attend. I don't want to, and neither do my kids. We feel strongly pressured to go, and I feel that if I tell them no to attending, that my family will experience negative experiences again. One of the reasons we moved to Davis County is to get away from the Utah County Mormons. I admire you for being strong and brave to put this out there to your family, neighbors and even people you do not know. My heart goes out to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ali,

      I'm sorry that you've gone through similar experiences. It's rough. :) Thanks for your kind words. Loves!!

      Delete
  12. I don't know you, but I wanted to let you know that I think this was a very brave and beautiful post. I wish I were brave enough to write a similar post for my friends and family. What I wish my LDS family could understand is that my decision to leave the church was reached after a huge amount of thought, prayer and scripture study. It was BECAUSE of my values and beliefs that I made the decision to leave, not despite them. It wasn't just a random decision that I made because I was too lazy to get up on Sunday mornings. Nothing about the way that I live my life changed when I left the church except for being able to enjoy a cup of coffee without being consumed by guilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much, Carrie. I truly appreciate your insight. It's crazy to discover just how many people have been through similar circumstances. :)

      Delete
  13. Becky! What up? Nice post, thanks for sharing. I love what you wrote about integrity. I've always felt the same way. As painful as it was to awknowledge my changing beliefs to my family, knowing that I was simply being honest about how I felt helped me get through some really tough times. We still miss you guys down here. It's crazy how many of us became friends in the same ward and were at different points on the same journey without even realizing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ben!!

      It was so great hanging with you and Mary again. You guys will always be special to us. :)

      Delete
  14. Becky, Somehow I stumbled upon this post. I know it must have been EXTREMELY hard to write some of those words. I am a Ward Mission Leader now, and work with many that share your feelings, and that gives me a little perspective. I can tell you for sure that there are many that love you, regardless of your LDS status. You have always been one of the brightest stars in the great sky of life. I know much of your background, and have seen the ups and downs. One of the most poignant moments of being your Bishop was watching you and Lisa fight to help Michael up a plywood wall at youth conference on the obstacle course at Camp Williams. What a testament that was to me of your loyalty and dedication to family. You have more love in your little finger than most of us have in our whole body. You know that I love you and your family, and will always invite you back. That's my job, right! I truly wish you a life full of happiness, and peace. You have earned it. We will have to play a game of basketball again sometime, or throw a pie in each other's face, for old time's sake. Oh, and keep up your singing, you have a real talent there! Sincerely, Bro. Harrison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!!!

      It's so good to hear from you!! It's true you know more about my life than most people. It's my background that made certain aspects of church history very difficult for me to swallow. I've always considered you a great friend, and having you as a bishop really helped me open up about things that were really difficult to talk about. Thank you for being so kind and considerate. You've meant a lot to me, and hey, I'd throw a pie in your face any time. ;) Heh!! Thanks for responding to my post. It means a lot. :)

      Delete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beckers!!! My goodness you are a brave woman! Just wanted you to know I love ya Chicca! Always.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am not as courageous as you, but here it goes. When my parents got divorced I felt like the Church had failed because my parents had no visible sin. I felt cheated because my family ended in mortality instead of continuing to eternity. Thanks to my friend Jeffery, I now know that it was not sin, but depression and fatigue that destroyed my family. This video helped me find strength to press forward. You know what is right Becky! Good things will come!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nczw6xHJ0I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And don't let what anyone else tells you steal that from you.
      神はあなたを愛している。

      Delete
    2. I have seen that movie before, and it has a positive message for sure! It's been nearly two years since I first posted this particular blog post. I'm glad to say that I have found the strength to press forward for sure, and without any specific religion to guide me. We as a family are quite happy with our lives, and feel like we're doing what's right for us. What's right for me may be different for others, but that's the beauty of diversity. Thank you for your reply. :)

      Delete
  18. I needed this SO very much! I just googled & your blog came up. The Joseph Smith essay on lds.org shook our family faith to the core. I've been reading more true lds history the church never talks about & I am blown away. Hubby & I decided this month to leave the church. My kids are being harassed by their lds friends & being called "inactive" which is about like being called a bad name here in good old Utah County.
    Hubby's family is going to freak totally out. The social pressures to stay active are tremendous.
    I just want to move away & we feel very alone in this but just cannot stand to be in it anymore either.
    Thank you a ton for this blog, I am so happy to know we are not alone!!!
    Bless you & your beautiful honesty!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mar.

      I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. It is an extremely painful journey to go on, and having family turn against you only adds to the guilt, shame, and confusion. My heart goes out to you and your family.

      There are many online resources designed to help those experiencing a faith crisis that can be incredibly helpful.

      New Order Mormon is a site dedicated to those who no longer believe some (or much) of the dogma or doctrines of the LDS Church, but who want to maintain membership for cultural, social, or even spiritual reasons.
      http://newordermormon.org/
      Mormon Stories Podcast/Mormon Expressions Podcast are both quite informative, and you will find a vast online support group there if needed:
      https://www.facebook.com/mormonstories
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mormon-Expression/98535011033

      We live in Utah County as well, and the good thing about living in Utah is that you will find a lot of post/ex mormons to relate to. If you would like more info or need to chat, I'm here! Thanks for your comment. :)

      Delete
  19. Hi Rebecca,
    I just read the words "inactive mormon" somewhere and wondered what that meant. A simple Google search led me here and now after reading this post I'm so intrigued! I would love to know the reasons why you decided that the Mormon church wasn't for you. You mentioned a few reasons in your post which were NOT the reason but you didn't specify what it was about church history that did influence you. Also I've never heard the term 'real church history' before. What does that mean? Is there such a thing as non-real church history?
    I'm a Catholic from New Zealand and am quite happy with my faith. I have learned a fair amount about both (catholic) church history and about our traditions and the reasons for them. I am quite happy with what I have learned and believe that the Catholic church is the one true church. I know the Mormon church also claims to be the one true church so I guess that's why I'm so interested in hearing your thought process on this matter.
    I hope this email wasn't too weird for a Tuesday afternoon! But I really hope you're still checking this blog occasionally and will reply. Feel free to email me if you'd prefer: michellejr@gmail.com
    Best wishes for you and your beautiful family,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey, Michelle.

    I'm sorry it's taken so long to reply to you. I'm not very good at keeping up a blog. Thank you for your thoughtful questions.

    I think that the Mormon church is a great church for many people and brings a lot of happiness to many. While it's true that some know the nitty gritty details of Church History, I would say the vast majority do not. History is often glamorized in general, and it seems we often are taught snippets of whatever really happened. I feel that our church as well as others often provide a white washed version of history. We often hear only the faith promoting stories, while destructive elements are left out. As a survivor of sexual abuse, this particular blog spoke to my soul and basically illustrated my feelings when I learned more details of the Polygamy and Polyandry that were practiced in the early days of our church. http://phenomenalsarah.blogspot.ca/2014/11/a-sexual-abuse-survivor-responds-to.html

    Again, thank you for your comment. I appreciate you taking the time to try to understand other faiths and people. I love learning about what drives people and their passions as well. :) If you have any more questions, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca :)
      Thank you for your response and for answering my questions. I didn't know about the scandal so this explains a lot and it was interesting reading the blog you linked to in your comment.
      I hope you are well and enjoying life, and that you are feeling loved and supported.
      Peace,
      Michelle

      Delete